Today is extra special, ya’ll! We have been working diligently the last few months on the laundry room makeover and I am so happy to give the entire reveal today! We have a tee-tiny laundry room. I actually think some closets are bigger. I was hiding out in the broom closet just to get some of the pictures. If you notice some odd bends in the shelves and such, it is from the wide angle camera lens and not really bent. Anyways, let’s go to the Before:
If you have followed along on our journey for some time, you know that this is the condition in which we purchased the house. Every wall and ceiling in the house wall is scarred with marks, dings, and dirt. The potential is what drove us to this house despite its deformities. You may wonder why the dryer is higher than the washer. My husband is 6’4″ and, yes, I am lucky that he does laundry. However, a front load dryer can be difficult for him to bend over that far. Last year, he built a small platform to raise the dryer so the vent exhaust lined up and he didn’t have to bend over so much. Yep, I am also lucky he is handy and likes to work around the house.
The only thing besides the marked up walls in the room was this rather sad shelf. It HAD TO GO!
I started by painting 3 of the walls gray. We went round and round about the color. At first, my heart yearned for a muted Navy color with copper and colorful accents. That would have been stunning! However, I ended up using leftover paint from my son’s room. It was free and I wanted to get this makeover party started.
I made over the broom closet last year so that I could put the laundry in the closet and not on the kitchen floor. You can see how we created shelving and wallpapered the closet here.
The biggest update was that the sad shelf got replaced with an affordable stock white cabinet and we cut the shelves from sheets like these on each side. While we could have fit 2 cabinets, there would have been 7 inches of extra space. The room is also small enough that I thought two cabinets above the washer would be too boxy and overbearing. The open shelves on either side kept the room from becoming too heavy. We added a smaller bottom shelf just above the washer and dryer to hide the cords. It easily comes out in case we need to work behind the washer and dryer. All of the shelves were cut from some melamine sheets for shelving. The shelves themselves are held up by concave trim around the edges which is nailed (and glued) into the wall.
Of course, I couldn’t go without some personalized artwork. I created this custom clothespin artwork and hung it on an antique style pants hanger. The paper is adhered to a wood board and sealed to keep out any moisture from the washer and dryer.
I think the yellow came about because this medium grey, small space needed some happy pep. The yellow might not have been the exact shade I was going for but the function is what I really want for now.
Hubby usually does the laundry but I think it is because he doesn’t trust me with his nice dress clothes. I can never remember how he wants them done so I made a chalkboard style reminder for myself. It doubles as a decorative piece which I like!
A few baskets and jars on the shelves really add some great storage options!
You may recognize this text stencil from my laundry room sign tutorial. I intended to use the sign, but the white on white background did not work for me. Therefore, I redid the stencil directly on the wall.
Hubby also built a new platform out of scrap wood from the deck project to raise both the washer and dryer. It looks so much better now that they are even in height! I searched high and low for an organizer to go between the washer and dryer. I found a set of plastic drawer, this set is similar, and they are the best thing ever!
Laundry Room Makeover Materials and Cost
- Cabinet and trim molding – $120
- Shelves – $40
- Organizer between washer – $56
- Platform – free (scrap wood)
- Baskets – $26
- Paint – free (leftover from my son’s room and the kitchen)
- Accessories and artwork – $35 (most are either made by me or re-purposed from around the house)
Total – $277 !!!
Well, it was a HUGE CHANGE! I cannot wait to share some of the printables and tutorials about what we learned (the hard way) with this reveal. I am very happy with it! Overall, there are some things I might change in the future but that is a project for another day. Let me know what you think in the comments below!
Grab our free series "Weekend Home Projects that will Transform Your Life"
Sign up below to receive updates including free printables, organization tips, home improvement projects, recipes and more!