This Caramel Apple Bars recipe includes layers of apple slices, walnuts, and caramel sauce in a delightful oatmeal crumble crust. These fruit bars are so yummy!
Caramel Apple Bars Recipe Notes
I love to serve it with vanilla ice cream and salted caramel sauce but neither are an absolute must. The ice cream just ups the dessert factor a notch and these bars actually have plenty of caramel sauce already on the inside. These actually make great breakfast bars too for those busy-gotta-go mornings.
Fruit Notes – Granny Smith are generally considered to be the best for baking, but mostly any apple will do. Also, I am a personal fan of the combination of apples and cranberries, but the cranberries are totally optional and you probably wouldn’t miss them if they weren’t there.
There are a few ways to make the caramel sauce in a pinch. My personal preference is to use these caramel bits, but you can substitute 32 caramel squares like these. Using real caramel to make the sauce from scratch has a more rich, buttery style caramel flavor. This is the recipe as printed below. However, you can also use store-bought caramel sauce. If using the squeeze bottle variety (like this one), I recommend thickening it up with of flour. In a small saucepan, combine 1.5 cups caramel topping and 1/2 cup flour with a whisk. Bring to a slight boil, stirring constantly and boil 1-3 minutes.
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS CAKE AND CUPCAKES? CHECK THESE OUT:
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- 20 of the Best Homemade Cupcake Recipes
- Bailey’s White Chocolate Cake
- Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting
Caramel Apple Crisp Bars Recipe
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Butter melted
- 2 apples peeled, cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups caramel bits
- 1/3 cup Whipping Cream
- Pre-heat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13in baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, oats, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Stir in melted butter and mix until evenly crumbly and wet. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the crumble mixture. Press the rest into the bottom of your baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Spread apple slices over the baked crust. Sprinkle cranberries and nuts.
- The caramel will thicken as it cools. Pour over the dish while still warm. Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture evenly of the top. Press just slightly into the caramel sauce. Bake about 25 minutes. Cool and cut into bars.