Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping is the perfect way to greet guests in the morning or for a crowd. The tender crumb is elegantly topped with a crunchy streusel topping that bakes up in a little over an hour.
The season of warm, fuzzy feelings is coming! Mittens, fireplaces, and family traditions evoke vibrant, yet cozy feelings in me. Although we host friends and family many times a year, there is something extra special to me about hosting during the holidays. As I prepare for the season and hosting, I was inspired to make this delightful, crumb Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake. I hope you will indulge me as I tell you of how this cake recipe came to be. As I have been freshening the house in preparation for the wonderful arrival of our welcomed guests, on my list was the guest gift basket I always make.
I want our guests to feel at home, refreshed, and get into the spirit as soon as they arrive. Everyone has a very long drive, so they deserve it. I usually put the basket in the bathroom. In the basket, I add a few water bottles, some toiletries that always seem to be forgotten, towels, and some candles, or pretty scents around the home.
That got me thinking about what I planned to bake for the family, and I was inspired to create an Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping.
Frequently asked questions:
If you don’t love cooked apples, you can leave them out and will be delicious as a simple cinnamon coffee cake. You could also add nuts, such as pecans, to the streusel topping or make a simple vanilla glaze with vanilla, milk, and powdered sugar.
Sure you can make cute little individual coffee cakes! Mix the ingredients as directed and divide evenly into a greased or lined 12-cup muffin tin. Top with streusel topping and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.
Coffee cake keeps for different amount of time according to how you store it. It will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days. You can also store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to a week. If you want to store it in the freezer to last a bit longer, it will keep for about 3 months.
I love coffee cake because you can eat it any time of day. Slicing a piece of cake for yourself at 7am is so taboo, but coffee cake totally gets a pass. I mean how does that work? It even has cake in the name! However, I imagine a nice slice with some coffee in the evening with everyone talking and laughing together as we catch up on plenty of hugs, hilarious family stories, and the kids laugh and play together.
I know that my family is eager to visit with us this holiday season. I can’t wait to see my nieces’ and nephews’ eyes light up at the scene of the Christmas trees or sitting on Santa’s lap. From the moment they arrive, I know there truly is magic in the air. How do you envision your holidays? Do you get inspired by wonderful aromas like I do?
More Breakfast Breads and Ideas to Welcome Guests With
- Zucchini Muffins with Raisins and Nuts
- Old Fashioned Sour Cream Doughnuts
- Yellow Squash Muffins
- Overnight Oatmeal with Almond Milk
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- ¼ cup Milk
- ½ cup Butter softened
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup White Sugar
- ¾ cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup Butter softened, 4 tablespoon
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8×8 pan or an 8×10 pan.
- In a stand mixer, combine the butter and both sugars for the cake until well mixed and fluffy. Add the eggs, milk, and vanilla and mix at medium speed until combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add to the butter mixture in the mixer and mix until just combined. Spread into prepared pan. Layer the apple slices over the top and lightly press into the batter.
- For the streusel, stir together the sugars, flour, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or your hands, mix in the butter until the streusel is crumbly and well mixed. Sprinkle evenly over top of the apple slices.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until the streusel topping is browned and the center is firm.
What's For Dinner?
Signup for recipe updates and get a free cookbook of Easy Weeknight Supper Solutions!
More Great Recipes