I love adding vegetables in unexpected places, which means kids will love this recipe for sweet and cinnamon yummy Yellow Squash Muffins!
So today’s recipe may seem a little on the odd side. Even my mother said, “You put squash in a muffin?!” Yes. Yes, I did, and they are delicious! These mighty yellow squash muffins were indeed born out of desperation. You see, my lovely little garden produced a rather large bumper crop of summer squash. So large, in fact, that I froze about 15-18lbs of yellow squash and it does freeze very well. Unfortunately, there aren’t a whole lot of things you can do with it. While it is great to use in a stir fry and the yellow squash pan fries very well, that is about all the options I knew of and I still had a LOT left over. That got me to thinking about my zucchini muffins recipe and I decided, why not?
Summer squash has a natural buttery quality that I hoped would work well in my experiment. Also, I am firmly becoming a believer that you can cover up any weird taste by adding enough cinnamon so adjusting my recipe seemed like it might just work. And the results? Fabulous. Since this recipe makes 24 muffins, I even tested them out on my
poor unsuspecting sweet neighbors and co-workers. I have already been asked for the recipe several times so that is a winner. (And the squash is put to good use!)
NOTES ON MAKING THIS YELLOW SQUASH MUFFIN RECIPE
Ok, so here are my personal notes on the yellow squash muffin recipe (also found on the recipe card when you print it). First, muffins are always best served warm, and these summer squash muffins are no exception. Pop them in the microwave for 15 seconds and enjoy! Secondly, I listed unsweetened applesauce but, honestly, use whatever applesauce is on hand unless it is flavored like strawberry or something. Those six-packs that you can buy for to-go lunches are perfect. Also, the squash preparation whether you are using fresh summer squash or frozen is the same. Drain as much liquid as you can from them.
Looking for More Recipes to Put Vegetables In? Check These Out:
- Zucchini Muffins
- Pumpkin Bread with Cheesecake Swirl
- Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- The Best Carrot Cake
- Apple Sausage Stuffed Crescent Rolls
Tools I used in Making Summer Squash Muffins
- Food Processor: This is the newer version of the one I have used for over a decade. It saves me so much time in the kitchen! And the reviews are so spot on, especially since it is so affordable! Now, if I could just find a worthy blender.
- The Muffin Pan: Ever since I first discovered the awesomeness that is my silicone baking mat, I just had to try the new muffin pans. These things are awesome! I honestly still keep my old muffin tins around to make transporting baked goods easy though.
- Fresh Vanilla Beans: I make my own vanilla extract and there is no substitute in certain recipes like homemade ice cream or whipped cream. To be honest, I can’t tell the difference in most baked goods but it’s nice to always have on hand anyways. I usually look for Madagascar bourbon vanilla beans, but I have heard of shortage problems, which means high prices. However, I can usually make about 40-50 floz of vanilla extract with just 5 beans.
More Delicious Baking Recipes! (Click on Picture to go to the post)