This Double Chocolate Zucchini bread will make you do a double-take! It’s loaded with garden fresh zucchini, but the chocolate flavor is moist, dense, and sinfully delicious.
This is my favorite time of year because I LOVE zucchini, it is one of my favorite vegetables. I love grilling it, eating zucchini in salads, stir-frying it, and even baking with zucchini.
Because of the garden I planted, I also knew to get a slew of recipes ready because sometimes you get a lot to handle at the same time. A classic option is zucchini bread, of course! And this sinfully delicious double chocolate zucchini bread recipe is a great way to make use of all that zucchini!
This incredibly moist, nearly sinful bread will make you not believe it has veggies in it. In fact, 2 full cups of zucchini in the loaf! Even if you don’t like zucchini, this bread is incredible.
Chocolate Zucchini Bread Ingredients
So what makes this Chocolate Zucchini Bread so good?
- It is made with cocoa powder AND chocolate chips. Double the chocolate equals double the fun! I used a natural cocoa powder rather than a dutch processed. Dark cocoa powder works as well.
- The applesauce makes it a little lighter in texture and also a lot lighter in calories. I only substitute half the oil. I find that if you substitute applesauce for oil or butter in a 1:1 ratio (1 cup =1 cup), the texture often suffers in baking.
- The bread is super moist and somewhat dense.
- The zucchini bread is easy to make. You don’t need a mixer either. It can be made with just stirring.
- The cinnamon brings out the richness of the chocolate without tasting like cinnamon. Its like a flavor enhancer.
- This easy chocolate zucchini bread will remind you of your favorite chocolate cake.
- You can also use espresso powder or steeped tea to enhance the chocolate flavor. It will be incredibly rich and explode with chocolatey goodness. Try it out and experiment for fun!
Anytime I can find a way to get those extra veggies in our family’s diet is a good time.
I mean, the zucchini cancels out the chocolate, right? No? Oh well, it is still delicious and I can smile knowing that.
More Great Baking Recipes for Summer:
- Zucchini Muffins
- Cinnamon Squash Muffins
- Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Key Lime Pie
- Peanut Butter Brownies
- Cherry Coffee Cake
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread Recipe
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup oil
- 1 ¼ cup White Sugar
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 cups Zucchini shredded with a grater or food processor, and spread on paper towels for 30 minutes if the zucchini is super wet
- 2 ½ cups All Purpose Flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder I used regular cocoa
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 5×9 bread loaf pans or muffin tins.
- In a mixing bowl, blend oil, applesauce, and eggs together. Add vanilla, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together. One cup at a time, add dry mixture to wet and blend before adding next cup until all are just mixed. Using a spoon, stir in the shredded zucchini. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts.
- Spoon batter into pans. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow bread to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack. Slice and serve when the bread has completely cooled or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge and serve at room temperature or zap it in the microwave for 15 seconds.
More Great Recipes