The kid in me screams that I want to eat all my vegetables in cake! The adult just gives a rather disproving look but that’s ok. I have been waiting until just the right time to share my special Carrot Cake recipe. Dreams of spring and Easter whispered to me that this was that time. Filled with goodies like raisins and pineapple, this cake is moist and my favorite variation that I have ever had.
The funny thing about this cake is that it came about completely by accident. I was making my plain ol’ carrot cake recipe when I realized mid-making that I had run out of vanilla extract. Seriously, what in the world do you substitute for vanilla? I almost skipped it when I saw that I had rum extract in the cupboard. For whatever reason, I just went with it. And I cannot believe the results! Although subtle, the rum extract added a certain warmth to the carrot cake and livened up the spices.
Since I know that Easter brings with it loads of chocolate and candy, I wanted to share a holiday treat recipe that my family not only loves, but that would also add a bit of nourishment to an otherwise sugar-laden day. And while Carrot Cake certainly isn’t considered health food, it does have benefits that other cakes and sweets skip.
One last bit of disclosure. Some of you may remember my misadventures in icing a cake and wonder where my new-found decorating talents have sprung from. Nope, I didn’t take a class. Rather, I enlisted the skills of a neighbor who just happens to run her own little cake baking company. I know, how lucky am I? I even got to play with a cake spinner, but I still need a LOT of practice. But hey, I did learn one little fact about pretty cakes. They use a ton of frosting.
The Recipe is at the bottom but first, I would like to show you some other fun EASTER PROJECTS!
You’ve seen my #MakeIt project, now please visit some of the other wonderful blogger in this challenge and check out their beautiful Easter projects!
1. Easter Mantle w DIY Burlap Banner | 2. Easter Basket for Kids | 3. Speckled Easter Eggs || 5. Moss Covered Easter Basket | 6. Easter Kids Table Ideas | 8. Fabulous Carrot Cake | 9. Easter Egg Hunt Pom Pom Skirt
Fabulous Carrot Cake Recipe
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 2 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Buttermilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups White Sugar
- 2 tsp rum extract or vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 can crushed pineapple in juice 8oz
- 1 cup Raisins
- cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8x8 cake pans.
- In medium bowl, whisk combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a second large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar, and extract. Add flour mixture, a cup at a time and mix well between each addition.
- In another medium bowl, combine carrots, nuts, pineapple and juice, and raisins. Using a spoon or scraper, fold the carrot mixture into the batter.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour or until center is done and toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack before frosting with cream cheese frosting.
Our Newest Recipe Videos
More Great Dessert Recipes