Have you ever come across a situation you just know that a brilliant solution is right in front of you but you can’t see it? I know I have. Despite the blog name, sometimes that creative solution is elusive, even for me! Enter the odd storage space under the deck that we lovingly built last summer.
You may remember it (or not):
So then we were faced with the problem of what to do with the space underneath. It was too short and too sloped to make a secondary patio space. We knew we wanted to enclose it to at least make it more appealing. Unfortunately, as we were deciding how to utilize the space underneath the deck, it became THE BIGGEST MUDHOLE ever because there is no light for the grass underneath.
Even though enclosing the underneath of the deck wasn’t a priority this year, something had to be done about it. We decided to turn it into a garden shed but we needed to make the underside of the not only waterproof but also direct the water to the drain pipes. First, to the underside, we screwed boards that increased in depth 1 inch every other board. This was to create enough slope to direct the water down to the edge and into a gutter (not shown). The photo above shows what I mean.
Getting around the braces was a unique challenge but we made sure the holes were snug around them. Some outdoor caulk finished the job to make sure that the underside of the deck would keep our storage dry and protected.
We made a border of pressure treated lumber and filled it with drainage rock. Even though it isn’t completely finished, it is so much better than the eyesore it was before. Adding the roofing underneath seems like it was the obvious solution all along!
Now, for the sides I have some additional plans after it is enclosed. We have created a dining area on the deck which you can see here. We also intend to add a patio area to the left with a seating area and firepit for roasting marshmallows and such. If you would like to take a peek at our plans, I drew up a quick mood board of our ideas with sources.
I hope you are at least as ready for the summer as I am!
More DIY Projects: