This Chickpea Salad combines sweet cranberries, tender chickpeas, edamame, and a tangy vinaigrette dressing. It’s super easy to make, loaded with veggies, and delivers a much needed touch of tangy and sweet.
Several months ago, we had a Lidl grocery market open, and I made a stop in to see what it was all about. If you aren’t familiar with Lidl, it is similar to Aldi in that every week the grocery offerings can entirely different. In the very back of the store, I found these cold chickpea salad containers for sale and I scooped one up to try. I always love little vegetable salads. It was delightful! The cranberries offered a particularly interesting and sweet taste. However, I knew that I might never see it again at the grocery store.
So I reversed engineered it from the ingredient label and used my own vinaigrette dressing that I use for other vegetable salads. I have made it a few times now and it is one of my go to recipes, especially for lo-cal snacking. I generally serve it in my favorite little crock soup bowls (these are similar) and it keeps nicely for a few days.
Tips for Making A Cold Salad
Salads are easy to make obviously, but their are endless variations you can make that suit your tastes. You can substitute jalapeno or poblano pepper for the green pepper if you like a little kick, or lessen any of the ingredients that you aren’t a fan of.
The best thing about these kinds of salads is that you can easily make them the day before. It’s actually best to wait at least a few hours before diving in. The dressing really makes the dish come alive, but it takes a bit to meld with the flavors. I know the first time I made it, I thought I had screwed up because it just didn’t taste right when I first made it.
I’ve purposely made this recipe to make 2 cups. It easily doubles or triples for an easy party dish to bring to a summer gathering.
Looking for More Side Item Ideas to Feed a Crowd? Check these out:
- Cilantro, Corn, and Black Bean Salad
- Simple Fresh Avocado Salsa Dip
- Healthy Game Day Snacks
- Potluck Punch Bowl Cake
- No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Rice Krispie Treats
Pin It for later:
- 15.5 oz chickpeas aka garbanzo beans, washed
- 1/2 cup shelled edamame
- 1/2 cup green pepper diced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup carrots diced
- 1/4 cup red peppers diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder a dash
- 1/4 tsp salt a dash
- 1/4 tsp granulated white sugar
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- In a medium bowl, mix all of the salad ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together until the sugar dissolves. Whisk again just before pouring over the salad to keep all ingredients in suspension. Toss the salad to coat well.
- Cover and refridgerate at least 2 hours. Keeps well for a few days.
Our Latest Recipe Videos
What's For Dinner?
Signup for recipe updates and get a free cookbook of Easy Weeknight Supper Solutions!
More Great Recipes!