A crisp and tangy side salad or snack, this easy cucumber onion salad takes only a few minutes to make and you can store it in your refrigerator for up to a month.
This recipe comes from my husband’s family. I was inundated with slicing cucumbers from the garden this summer. I pawned several off on my friends and family and still so many.
That’s when my husband told me of a recipe his grandmother used to make. He talked with such a sense of nostalgia that I knew I had stumbled into something. Some quick research and a phone call to one of the politest yet spunky great-grandmothers I have ever met, and here we are.
This easy cucumber salad recipe comes together quickly with just a few ingredients. A refreshing and tangy side salad it’s a great accompaniment to chicken, grilled meat, seafood and so much more!
What You Will Need
Here is an overview of the basic ingredients to make cucumber onion salad:
Cucumbers: The best cucumbers are pickling varieties as they don’t lose as much of their crispness over time. English cucumbers taste wonderful but won’t last as long. If your cucumbers have a thin skin, you don’t have to peel them. I would peel certain cucumber varieties with either a thick or tough outer skin.
Onions: You want a good sweet onion. For making ahead, I like to use vidalia onions. For quick prep, I sometimes use red onions for the color and milder flavor.
Sugar: Granulated or white sugar works great.
Garlic: Fresh cloves of garlic should be minced or you can use store bought minced garlic.
Optional: Red Pepper Flakes
How To Make Cucumber Onion Salad
- Prep: Slice or chunk the cucumber and thinly slice the onion.
- Dress: Stir all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Marinate: Add the cucumber slices and onion to mason jar or other container of your choice (I used two 500ml mason jars). Pour the vinegar solution over the cucumbers so that they are submerged. Close and shake to coat the cucumbers. Marinate for a few hours before serving.
Once prepped cover and refrigerate for an hour minimum. This salad is best served well chilled!
Serving and Storage Suggestions
Serving: A refreshing and tangy side salad it’s a great accompaniment to chicken, grilled meat, seafood and so much more! It’s great straight out of the jar, but I also sometimes mix up some Greek yogurt with a bit of fresh dill to serve as a sort of dressing.
Storing: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The cucumbers should be stored submerged in the vinegar solution. How long this lasts depends on the type of cucumbers you use. English or store-bought cucumbers last about 3-4 days before they lose their crispness. However, pickling cucumbers can last up to a few months.
A few ways to tell if they have expired are changes in color or unpleasant smell, changes in brine texture, or bubbling in jar or bulging of the lid.
Looking for more simple, veggie-packed recipes? Check out some of these:
- Chickpea Salad with Vinaigrette
- Crunchy Asian Coleslaw with the Best Peanut Dressing
- Cilantro Corn and Black Bean Dip
- Zucchini Muffin Recipe
Frequently asked questions:
If you are following a low carb or low sugar diet, you can still enjoy this salad. Simply replace the sugar with equal parts Splenda or whatever ratio is equivalent for your sweetener alternative.
Any basic vinegar can be used for pickling such as white vinegar, apple cider, rice, or white wine vinegar. The flavor will be different, but some people prefer the different varieties. If you prefer apple cider vinegar, it will alter the color slightly. Avoid aged or distilled vinegars such as malt or balsamic in pickling.
Do you have a garden? How do you use extra cucumbers or other extra veggies? I would love to hear about them! Leave me a comment.
What's For Dinner?
Signup for recipe updates and get a free cookbook of Easy Weeknight Supper Solutions!
More Great Recipes to Try!
PS. If you make this recipe, leave a COMMENT AND A STAR RATING in the comments section at the bottom and be sure to take a photo and tag it #cravingcreative on Instagram! I appreciate you for taking the time to read about me and my family recipes.
Cucumber Onion Salad
- 3 cups Sliced or Chunked cucumbers *See note about varieties
- 1 cup sweet onion thinly sliced
- ¼ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups white distilled vinegar
- 3 cups Water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- dash Salt
- dash red pepper flakes Optional
- In a bowl, add sugar, salt, vinegar, water, and garlic. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the cucumber slices and onion to mason jar or other container of your choice (I used two 500ml mason jars).
- Pour vinegar-garlic mixture over top to fill the jars. Close and shake or stir to coat all the cucumbers.
- Refrigerate overnight. Mixture is good for at least 1 month in the refrigerator.