And the big reveal is….oh, wait this is not that post. That means I still have an ugly bathroom.
Anyways, with 2017 being the year we finally get to the bathroom overhaul, I thought I would share some of the direction of the atmosphere and decor.Everyone needs a trip to the spa once in a while. It’s like a getaway and a refresh from the stresses of everyday life, if only for one hour. However, the expense of frequent trips often keep the spa experience a rare indulgence for us budget minded gals and gents.
What if you could bring the spa as often as you wish…in your own bathroom? Dreamy, right?
Check out these simple tips for making your bathroom a haven of relaxation without breaking the bank.
Kick the Bathroom Clutter
Clutter is without-a-doubt the worst offense to the idea of a relaxing space. In most any bathroom, you will find a myriad of personal care products that may never get used. Whole articles can be written on de-cluttering but here are a few simple tips.
- Use height instead of floor space for storage, particularly in small bathrooms. A wall organizer or a ladder if you have space can hold many items.
- If you don’t love it, loose it! We all have personal care products that we don’t love but throwing away the product feels like throwing away money. The truth is, the money is already gone.
- More than 2 of the same item – toss the rest! Most personal products have expiration dates so buying in bulk often leads to more clutter.
- Consider moving items out of the bathroom for more space. For instance, our medicine chest is in the coffee cabinet. There really is no rule that it needs to be in the bathroom.
Fill the Senses
Now that the clutter is gone, it is time to appreciate the select items that truly inspire and rejuvenate. Focus on each of the senses to immerse yourself in a relaxing retreat.
- A small radio to play music is a great way to relax in your own spa environment.
- A beautifully soft, coordinating bath mat makes a comfortable landing when you step out of the shower.
- Of course, spas use high quality products that relax, rejuvenate, and smell amazing, but you don’t need to spend a fortune on products or re-clutter.
- A few candles or a favorite bath salt will do well and you don’t want to overload with too many different scents at the same time anyways.
- Make a Rose Petal Bath Bomb.
Towels are the forgotten workhorses of the bathroom. We expect them to dry us off, get tossed around, and occasionally wipe up a bath spill – all while remaining soft and versatile as a decor accent. A bathroom stocked with high-quality towels whispers luxury. The ultra-soft, super-fluffy bath towels found in high-end spas and hotels are usually Egyptian or Turkish cotton or 100% American-grown supima cotton. The 100% is important because lesser towels will try to get away with a “made with” tag. We love these Turkish Towels that we purchased about a year ago.
Traditional bathroom lights function to make sure your makeup is in place, not lift your mood. Particularly for a bathroom, there is no one size fits all lighting. For a truly spa-like feel, consider adding different functional types of lighting such as a chandelier along with makeup lighting and even wall sconces around the mirrors or perimeter recessed lighting. A dimmer can also work wonders to enhance the atmosphere.
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you think of a spa? That soft, fluffy bathrobe and slippers. Need. Now.
Although you may be tempted to pick up any soft bathrobe, a well-made bathrobe after a shower makes all the difference. Speaking from experience, you can feel the difference as soon as you wrap yourself in warmth and splendor with a fluffy bathrobe. If you want to truly make your bathrobe a statement, consider adding a personalized embroidery. A personalized bathrobe is the perfect gift for loved ones, friends, and yourself. Amazing.
Ah, time, the one thing we all never can seem to get enough of. Honestly, it is important that we all take time for ourselves. Eliminating distractions is the only way to truly escape from the hustle and bustle of life. Schedule time for yourself on a timeline that works for you, once a week or once a month. I usually do once a week maintenance “me-time” for two hours. It does wonders for the soul and the beauty regiment.
Bringing the spa experience to your own home doesn’t have to be ultra-expensive. With the help of a few high-quality items, a luxury spa experience is attainable.
Grab our free series "Weekend Home Projects that will Transform Your Life"
Sign up below to receive updates including free printables, organization tips, home improvement projects, recipes and more!