Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup is so simple to make in the crock pot, while being healthy and delicious. With a mix of corn, beans, crunchy tortilla’s, and a flavorful broth, this is an authentic chicken tortilla soup.
Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
This weekend in Virginia was a total surprise gift because it was our first wave of cool fall weather! I know it’s very short lived, it got me craving all things comforting and fall. Plaid Scarves, colored leaves, and hearty soups.
Football practice has been taking over our schedules, so I need no fuss recipes. Hearty soups are one of my favorite weeknight meals. They are easy to make, feed a crowd, and transport well for lunches. Soup is a classic, and we make lots around here like Cabbage Beef, Sausage and Kale, and Fantastic Broccoli with Real Cheese soup. Another favorite of mine is Chicken Tortilla Soup Crock Pot Style! It’s filled with hearty ingredients like black beans, corn, tomatoes, and a flavorful broth that just soaks into everything. And it can be made in an Instant Pot or slow cooker.
Chicken Tortilla Soup Topping Ideas
Make this soup for dinner any night of the week and everyone will love it. Save any extra soup in the freezer and you can reheat it in the microwave! I usually set out toppings for everyone to enjoy their favorite and top how they like, such as:
- avocado slices
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime slices
- Tortilla chips or strips (love the rainbow kind especially!)
Chicken Tortilla Soup in An Instant Pot
If you would rather make this slow cooker chicken tortilla soup in an instant pot, the instructions are pretty easy.
Add all of the ingredients, with the chicken on the bottom. Close the lid and seal the pressure valve.
In manual setting, set on high for a total time of 18 minutes, then let it release naturally. Take the chicken breasts out and either dice or shred with a fork or a stand mixer. I generally prefer the stand mixer method.
Return the chicken to the tortilla soup. Garnish and serve.
Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup for Whole 30 or Keto
I have recently been limiting carbs, so I understand needing substitutions for a diet such as Keto, Paleo, or Whole 30. The good news is that this recipe originally came from a friend who does Whole 30, so it’s easy to convert.
For Keto, you can easily leave the corn and beans out of this crock pot chicken tortilla soup. I would swap them for zucchini or red pepper to keep the heartiness. You can also experiment with adding black soybeans. Unfortunately, you would need to leave off the tortilla strips, but you could substitute in some Keto Crisps if you want that crunch. These might be available at a larger health grocery store.
For Whole 30, you would need to use a Whole30 compliant chicken broth or make your own. Again the corn and beans would need to be left out, but you can find great additions in carrots, potatoes, zucchini, or green beans. My friend recommends this Whole30 compliant Chicken broth (or make your own). Top with guacamole, cilantro, avocado slices, lime slices, or compliant chips.
More Great Soup Recipes
TIPS FOR MAKING Chicken Tortilla Soup
- You can make this authentic chicken tortilla soup recipe with other meat, like ground turkey or beef. I’ve also made this with leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Make this tortilla soup spicy with a dash of cayenne pepper, or use the hot version of diced tomatoes with green chilies. You can also add diced jalapeno peppers with the onion.
- Make this chicken tortilla soup as a vegetarian option by leaving out the meat and using vegetable broth. If you want to add more protein the soup, add another can of black beans, or cubed extra firm tofu.
- If you need to thicken the soup, the easiest way is just to pour out a bit of the broth.
Did you make and love this recipe? Give your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your creations by tagging me on Instagram!
Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 1.5 lbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 28 oz canned whole tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped – about 1/2 cup
- 1 red bell pepper, or jalapenos for spicy
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 cup corn kernels canned (drained) or frozen is fine
- 1.5 cup black beans
- 1/2 tsp salt add more or less, to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper add more or less, to taste
- tortilla chips or tri-color strips
- shredded cheese
- fresh chopped cilantro
- sour cream
- lime slices
- guacamole or avocado slices
Directions For Slow Cooker
- In a large slow cooker, combine chicken and all the remaining ingredients. Break apart the tomatoes slightly. I usually crush them a bit before adding.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked and falling apart, 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred with a fork or in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Add back to the pot to warm up fully. Break apart any remaining large tomato chunks.
- Spoon soup into bowls and add tortilla chips and garnish as you like.
Directions For StoveTop
- Heat olive oil In a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and pepper. Cook until onion is softened, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred. Add back to the pot and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Spoon soup into bowls and add garnishes as you like.