Italian Sausage Kale Soup is my favorite fall soup recipe. A creamy broth is accented with red potatoes and Italian sausage to make a soup that is hearty and warms the soul.Jump to Recipe
If you’ve made some of my Cabbage Beef Soup before or my fall-wonderful White Chicken Chili then this recipe is for you! Back in 2014, I shared this and its become one of our family’s favorite recipes that gets requested often. I updated the photos and writing this year, because it definitely deserves to shine!
Sausage Kale Soup
I have so many good things I want to say about this soup. First, even if I loved nothing else in the fall (which I love everything about the fall), I would still look forward to the fall just for this soup. It’s creamy, and the simple ingredients meld together in the broth to make a comforting, hearty soup to help with the chill in the air.
Second, I make this a LOT during the holidays. I always have a huge to-do list this time of year and who has time to be stuck in the kitchen?!
But even without the hectic holidays, I make this soup at least 4-5 times a year. The mixture of red potatoes, kale, Italian sausage, and creamy broth make my heart happy (and want to sneak in the fridge for just a bit more). The main reason I love soup though is for the leftovers.
Which is why I make it around Christmas a LOT. Did I already say that? Dang.
Italian Sausage Kale Soup Recipe Tips and FAQs
This soup is designed to be simple to put together, but I thought I would answer a few questions that I have received from readers in the past.
- Can Sausage Kale Soup be frozen? Yes, it certainly can. However, the fats and milk contents tend to separate during freezing. I would recommend either adding the heavy cream in after it has been thawed and warmed back up (before serving) or freezing in a sealable container and giving it a good shake after it’s warmed up. Stirring works but you might have to stir pretty well.
- Can I make Sausage Kale Soup in a crockpot? You can, but I am not sure how much time it would really save. The sausage still needs to be browned before putting in the slower cooker and I would add the milk and heavy cream just before serving. I would also recommend dicing the potatoes rather than making them in thin slices.
- Variations? In the past I have added white cannelloni beans to this soup and skipped the potatoes or adjusted them down a bit to when I only had a few on hand.
- Should I serve anything with this soup? I always like a crusty bread with soup to soak up that delicious broth, but honestly this soup stands on it’s own as a meal, so you don’t really have to serve anything with it.
LOOKING FOR MORE HEARTY SOUP RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT:
- Cabbage Beef Soup
- Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Creamy Seafood Chowder Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup with Real Cheese
Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe
- 2 lbs medium red potatoes sliced thin
- 1 cup diced yellow onion diced
- 5-6 pieces kale leaves stems removed and torn into bite size
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage or links with casings removed
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Milk
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1. In a large pot, boil the sliced potatoes until tender, about 5-10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a large pot, crumble the Italian sausage. Begin to brown 1-2 minutes and then add the onions. Cook until sausage is fully cooked and onions are translucent. Drain off excess fat.
- 3. Stir in the chicken broth, milk, and fennel (optional), and oregano. Bring to a simmer, cover, and turn to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 4. Add the potatoes, heavy cream, and kale. After returning to a simmer, cook 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted.
Our Newest Recipe Videos
Check Out Our Other Delicious Recipes!