Vegetable Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe – This hearty soup includes broccoli as well as carrots, celery, onions, and potatoes to provide all the rich goodness that a cheesy soup can muster! This broccoli and cheese soup includes fresh vegetables and real cheddar cheese.
While fall may traditionally be considered soup season, spring is good too in its own way. Soup has a special place in my heart. There are always delicious leftovers and it is often better the second day. It is so versatile and soup is easy even for beginner chefs. The list goes on and on about why I love soup. My best reason though is because it lets me skip a day of cooking. Amen! Today, I am sharing my recipe for a hearty and flavorful vegetable broccoli and cheese soup.
This version of Broccoli and Cheese Soup has an added bonus of using additional vegetable to make the soup nice and thick. One thing about my soups is that they are often as hearty as a stew. This recipe also has carrots, onions, celery, and potatoes in addition to the broccoli and cheese. You could honestly skip the potatoes if desired. The carrots, onions, and celery round out the flavors of the soup and give it an extra special yumminess.
The inspiration for this soup comes from my college town of Knoxville, TN where I first tried broccoli cheese soup at McCallister’s Deli. Their bread boule soups are so, so good. And the broccoli cheese is one of my favorites so I have always used carrots. I did not have any bread boules to sever this in, but now I am sort of kicking myself for not thinking of it!
The other thing is that I used the whole head of broccoli, including the shoots or stems. If you don’t want to use the broccoli stems, I would consider adding more florets to the soup. Not sure if I would quite double, but you could play around with it.
Looking for More Hearty Soup Recipes? Check These out:
- Sausage and Kale Soup (Zuppa Toscana Copycat but better!)
- French Onion Soup – 2 versions
- Cabbage Beef Soup
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Seafood Chowder
Vegetable Broccoli and Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Cup Onion Chopped
- 1 Cup Carrots Chopped (about 2 carrots)
- 1/2 Cup Celery Finely Chopped
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 Cups Potatoes Diced, about 2 medium
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1 large Head of Broccoli rough chopped (2 if you want only stems)
- 3 Cups Cheddar Cheese Grated
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- Melt Butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, celery and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add garlic to pan and cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth, potatoes and broccoli stems. Bring to a gentle boil and simmer until potatoes are almost tender.
- In a separate small bowl, mix flour and water together. Add to soup and simmer until slightly thickened. Add milk and broccoli florets and cook until broccoli is cooked through.
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt. Serve hot and enjoy!
What's For Dinner?
Signup for recipe updates and get a free cookbook of Easy Weeknight Supper Solutions!
Our Newest Recipe Videos
More Delicious Soup Recipes