This Chicken and Wild Rice Soup are perfect for dinner or a quick lunch. With a touch of bacon and mushrooms, this soup is creamy and hearty!
I love a good soup and this Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is exactly what the doctor ordered. The best thing about this soup is that it only uses items commonly found at the grocery store. I love the flavor of wild rice and I had thought originally to make it with just wild rice. However, the only place I have ever found wild rice is at Trader Joe’s and that is quite a distance for me to travel. Of course, when you can’t find something in cooking, that often leads to some creative problem solving. So I substituted a regular ol’ box of Uncle Ben’s Wild Rice and it works perfectly fine.
Eventually, I did make the soup with the rice from Trader Joe’s and I didn’t notice a difference really. At least not enough to make me drive almost an hour to get wild rice when I have a craving for this soup. Although I love cooking and using quality ingredients, I, and probably moms everywhere don’t have that kind of time or energy to drive for such a simple ingredient.
One last tip – Don’t skip the slivered almonds unless you hate nuts or something. I am not a huge fan of nuts but I will definitely concede that those little toasted goodies bring out the flavors of the soup. They may look like a garnish, but don’t be fooled. Sneaky little things.
LOOKING FOR MORE HEARTY SOUP RECIPES? CHECK THESE OUT:
- Creamy Sausage and Kale Soup
- Cabbage Beef Soup
- French Onion Soup
- Creamy Seafood Chowder Soup
- Broccoli Cheese Soup with Real Cheese
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 6 oz box of long grain and wild rice original or chicken flavor, Uncle Ben’s
- 4 strips of bacon diced
- 4 oz of button mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 Carrots diced
- 1/2 cup Celery diced
- 3 Tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbsp sherry
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Toasted slivered almonds
- Cook rice according to package directions. In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute bacon pieces until crisp, about 8-9 minutes. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve drippings, lower heat to medium, and add mushrooms and onions. Cook until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add carrots and celery and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sherry and deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up the bits on bottom. Stir in broth, cooked wild rice, chicken, and thyme. Bring soup to a boil. Add milk, cream, sour cream, and bacon pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue to warm soup to temperature but not boil. Garnish with almonds and bacon if desired.
Our Newest Recipe Videos
More Great Soups to Try!