These hearty supreme chicken nachos are just what the doctor ordered for a gameday treat, a shareable appetizer, or even a quick dinner with your choice of toppings.
We haven’t even hit the holiday season and I am already exhausted! Between school schedules, art lessons, and being deep in staining the deck and fence, there is a lot on our plates. Oh, and did I mention we welcomed a new sweet furry family member? Ms. Pepper, our adopted hound mix is settling in well and bonding with my son. They are two peas in a pod! We are working on her manners, but that does take time. Try as I may, sometimes dinner is an afterthought. As in, I remember that I forgot to pull anything for dinner! Oops. Chicken nachos to the rescue!
Oddly enough, our weekends are the most hectic. A family that works together grows together, and boy do we fit that! When I am covered in sawdust or paint, the last thing I want to do is cook. So what’s a girl to do when you need something effortless and delicious? Yeah, I hate fast food so my solution is to pop in and get a rotisserie chicken and a few side dishes.
Oh, and here is the best part! For us three, those rotisserie chickens make more than one meal. I promised hubby that I would relent on my ever growing honey-do list this season to allow him the pleasure of watching his Sunday Football games. He certainly deserves it for all the hard work he puts in. He also looks forward to the traditional man food and politely looks at me with those puppy eyes. Seriously, the guy knows my weaknesses. So I use the leftover chicken to make him some supreme chicken nachos. This is real man food with all it’s cheesy, gooey, spicy, awesomeness!
How to Layer Chicken Nachos
These are super easy and you can add whatever toppings you like to them. You can layer them in any oven safe dish or cast iron pan. First, layer everything like this ½ chips-> ½ of the cheese/chicken/chili/toppings->other ½ chips ->the rest of the toppings. This way every chip will be loaded. Pop them in the oven under broil until all of the cheese melts through. Add the cold toppings such as tomatoes, sour cream, green onions, or avocado. The choice of toppings is endless!
Frequently asked questions:
If you’re really into spicy food, you can surely alter these to match your palette by adding different toppings. You can add spicier seasonings to the chicken or throw on some extra jalapenos. Another idea is swapping out the cheese for pepper jack or habanero jack cheese instead, or blend your sour cream with a spicy salsa!
I wish I had a genius life hack for this, but unfortunately, nachos are the best when they are fresh. A few things that will help, however, are layering your nachos uniformly and bringing any refrigerated toppings to room temperature before piling them on. They tend to cool down your nachos and drip slightly if you don’t gobble them up right away. You can also serve any chilled toppings on the side if you’re concerned about them losing their crispiness.
Gotta love man food and, even better, that he thinks I am a great wife for making it!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS GAME DAY APPETIZERS? CHECK THESE OUT:
- Ham and Cheese Mini Sandwhiches
- Kielbasa and Peppers Hoagies
- Honey Soy Chicken Kebabs
- Superbowl Party Table Decorations
What's For Dinner?
Signup for recipe updates and get a free cookbook of Easy Weeknight Supper Solutions!
Supreme Chicken Nachos
- 1 lb chicken cooked and shredded (pre-cooked rotisserie is a great option)
- 2 cups chili of your choice quality canned is fine
- 6-8 handfuls tortilla chips
- 1 tomato diced
- ½ cup jalapenos pickled and sliced
- ¼ cup black olives sliced
- 8 oz Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese shredded
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- Cilantro for garnish
- serve with sour cream, salsa, guacamole
- Preheat the oven to broil. Heat the chili in the microwave until hot. You can use any sort of oven safe dish or cast iron skillet. Layer ½ of the chips in the dish. Spread ½ of the chili, chicken, olives, jalapenos, and cheese over top. Layer the other half of the chips, chili, chicken, olives, jalapenos, and cheese over top. Put in the oven for 4-8 minutes or until the cheese fully melts and the tips of the chips begin to brown. Remove from oven and top with tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro if you wish. Serve with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
More Great Game Day Snacks