Creamy Tuscan Chicken – delicious and easy one pot meal. Sautéed Chicken in a garlic cream sauce with spinach sun-dried tomatoes. Dinner in under an hour, perfect for busy weeknights.
And there I was….
Let me set the scene for you. It was Christmas Eve. I’d been up all night with a horrible stomach flu and was scheduled to host a dinner party in 10 short hours. My guest list? A party of 12 including: 5 kids, 2 low carb dieters, 1 non-dairy guest and a partridge in a pear tree.
I felt like I was in the eye of the perfect storm. Since I was in self-quarantine (well before this was our new normal), I had no choice but to delegate dinner responsibilities to the hubby. Which meant I needed to choose something relatively uncomplicated. Did I mention it was Christmas Eve?
What was a girl to do?!
This recipe for coconut chicken was my godsend! I’d been working on its development and felt relieved as the fabulous reviews rolled in from the gallery. Sans one holdout, a notoriously tough critic and picky eater (hello, my son, of course).
How to Make Tuscan Chicken
My favorite thing about this recipe is that it’s a comfort dish light enough to be enjoyed year round. Minimal ingredients and a simple cream sauce make meal prep (and clean up) a breeze.
Pound out the chicken breasts to about ½ inch thick for even cook time. Season chicken with classic S&P and garlic powder. Brown in olive oil. Once the chicken is satueed and resting, the onions and garlic take a fragrant turn in the olive oil. This classic aroma will have dinner on everyone’s minds. Add the basil into the mix and you may actually hear tummies rumbling.
*Tip from our Kitchen – I cannot sing the praises of a good meat tenderizer enough. They are perfect for even cooking and getting the proper thickness to keep meat juicy. Have a good deep 12″ skillet with lid, we recommend the stoneware, for dishes like this.
The aromatic garlic cream sauce is the essence of this dish. Coconut milk, chicken broth, basil and garlic create a delicious base. These ingredients are inspired by a trademark Tuscan flavor profile.
DO YOU SEE THAT SAUCE?!– When preparing a sauce, gravy, or broth- timing is everything. Attention to detail is required while whisking your ingredients together and waiting for those satisfying first bubbles to appear. Minimize distractions and enjoy the process.
Frequently asked questions:
This dish is super versatile! I tend to think of it in seasonal terms. If you’re cooking in the spring or summer, keep the plate appropriately light.
Fresh green salad
Crusty loaf of bread
Over Mashed Cauliflower (keto and whole30 friendly option)
Pan roasted vegetables like carrots, brussel sprouts, or parsnips
Roasted Zucchini or zoodles
I also highly recommend serving with this over pasta if you aren’t doing low carb! Hello, garlic cream sauce is perfect for pasta?!
If you are following highly specific diets, like Keto, Whole30, or Paleo, it can be hard to find some ingredients. I have included a list of specific substitutions for you (also listed in the recipe box).
Tapioca Flour – keto and whole30 substitute for flour
Arrowroot Flour – keto and whole30 substitute for flour
Sugar-free Chicken Broth – – Believe it or not, almost all chicken broths have cane sugar in them, but this one doesn’t. It must be the natural goodness variety.
The FDA Food Code recommends cooking chicken to 165°F. You can use a meat thermometer. If you do not have one on hand, you can poke or cut the meat to see if the juices run clear. If the juices have a pinkish color, you may need to cook it a little longer.
Check out some of our other scrumptious dinner recipes:
Creamy Tuscan Chicken
- 1.5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp flour substitute tapioca flour for keto or whole 30
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth sugar-free
- ½ cup canned coconut milk
- ½ tsp basil
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach, stems removed and chopped
- Pound out the chicken breasts to about ½ inch thick. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- In a large skillet, add the olive oil and cook the chicken breasts on medium heat for 5-7 minutes per side or until browned and cook through. Set the chicken aside on a plate.
- Over medium heat, add the onions to the skillet and cook until soft. Add the garlic and cook about 45 seconds or until the garlic starts to brown and become fragrant.
- Whisk in flour, and stir for 1 minute until well blended and bubbly. Stir in the broth and coconut milk. Add the basil, salt and pepper to taste. Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and the spinach, Stir until the spinach is wilted, 2-3 minutes, Lay the chicken in the pot and simmer until warmed throughout, about 2-3 minutes.
Grab our free series "Weekend Home Projects that will Transform Your Life"
Sign up below to receive updates including free printables, organization tips, home improvement projects, recipes and more!
More Savory Recipes