Cajun Chicken Pasta made with homemade Alfredo sauce, broccoli, and Parmesan takes less than 30 minutes to make. The Cajun seasoning can be spicy or just a little kick if you prefer.
We love easy pastas like Sausage Stuffed Shells and Chicken Marsala Pasta Bake and this Cajun Chicken Pasta is no exception to that. It’s creamy, cheesy and has a deliciously spicy chicken that makes this dinner a huge hit!
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta is our favorite way to add a bit of kick to a weeknight meal with an easy creamy cheese sauce. It’s one of our cast iron skillet meals and our son’s favorite way to have chicken. He, interestingly, likes more spice than either of his parents – we are, admittedly, pretty wimpy when it comes to spicy heat in our dishes.
While the dish is traditionally made with fettuccine pasta, but you can certainly alter the pasta to suit your needs. If you have younger children, you can swap a shorter pasta that is easy to eat like rotini or bow-tie. This is also generally a meal I don’t recommend making ahead of time, or at least not the sauce. Like most Alfredo, the sauce does have a tendency to separate when refrigerated and then reheated. However, it tastes just as good, it just may not be as creamy and soak more into the noodles.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Tips
The best part of this Alfredo sauce is that it’s so simple with just 5 ingredients.
- Our family doesn’t personally like to drown the noodles in too much sauce, but if you want to make more restaurant style, consider doubling the sauce ingredients. You can double or triple the recipe without consequence.
- I am not a huge fan of garlic, and I often skip it, so that is a personal choice for you. The rest of the family loves it in their pasta, however.
Frequently asked questions:
I prefer using freshly grated parmesan cheese. Not only is it cheaper by weight, but it also has a better texture melted into the sauce. Make sure to grate it as finely as possible so that it melts evenly. Also the sauce needs to be piping hot with you add the cheese in, but be sure to not overcook it. The cheese can get a hard, coagulated texture if it gets too hot.
Absolutely! This sauce recipe can be doubled or even tripled with the same ingredient ratios if you prefer more sauce.
You can add whichever vegetables you prefer. Choose the vegetables and just steam, grill, or sauté them in a little bit of butter before adding to the pasta. Some ideas that I like are:
Sauteed Red Peppers
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 8 oz fettuccine pasta
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups Parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 chicken breast
- 3 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into florets red and green peppers, mushrooms, and green onions are also great additions
- Pound chicken to about ½ inch thickness. Liberally season on both sides with Cajun seasoning. For spicier chicken, use more seasoning.
- In a large pot, cook fettuccine pasta as directed on package. Drain and set aside.
- * See Note for alternative if you don't have a steamer. In a large pot, add an inch of water and bring to a rolling boil. Place a steamer basket inside the pot and add the broccoli. Cover, turn the heat down to a medium-low, and cook for 6-10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Chicken should be dark brownish black on the outside and cooked through, but still moist. The skillet may smoke during the blackening process. Don't be alarmed!
- In a large, deep skillet melt 6 Tbsp of butter over medium heat. Add in minced garlic and sauté for about a minute until golden and fragrant. Slowly add in the cream and stir until well combined. Stir occasionally and bring to a bubbling boil, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Add in Parmesan cheese, ½ cup at a time, stirring between additions. Reduce heat.
- In a small bowl, add ¼ cup of cream sauce and cornstarch. Mix until smooth and without lumps. Add cornstarch mixture into sauce and stir until well combined.
- Mix noodles into sauce. Plate with broccoli and chicken on top.
What's For Dinner?
Signup for recipe updates and get a free cookbook of Easy Weeknight Supper Solutions!
More Delicious Pasta Recipes for the Family