Cajun Chicken Pasta made with homemade Alfredo sauce, broccoli, and Parmesan takes less than 30 minutes to make. The Cajun seasoning can be spicy or just a little kick if you prefer.
We love easy pastas like Sausage Stuffed Shells and Chicken Marsala Pasta Bake and this Cajun Chicken Pasta is no exception to that. It’s creamy, cheesy and has a deliciously spicy chicken that makes this dinner a huge hit!
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Cajun Chicken Alfredo Pasta is our favorite way to add a bit of kick to a weeknight meal with an easy creamy cheese sauce. It’s one of our cast iron skillet meals and our son’s favorite way to have chicken. He, interestingly, likes more spice than either of his parents – we are, admittedly, pretty wimpy when it comes to spicy heat in our dishes.
While the dish is traditionally made with fettuccine pasta, but you can certainly alter the pasta to suit your needs. If you have younger children, you can swap a shorter pasta that is easy to eat like rotini or bow-tie. This is also generally a meal I don’t recommend making ahead of time, or at least not the sauce. Like most Alfredo, the sauce does have a tendency to separate when refrigerated and then reheated. However, it tastes just as good, it just may not be as creamy and soak more into the noodles.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce Tips
The best part of this Alfredo sauce is that it’s so simple with just 5 ingredients.
- The sauce needs to be piping hot when you add the Parmesan, otherwise the cheese won’t melt perfectly.
- We like to grate our own Parmesan rather than buy the pre-shredded containers because it keeps for a very long time and is much less expensive by weight.
- Our family doesn’t personally like to drown the noodles in too much sauce, but if you want to make more restaurant style, consider doubling the sauce ingredients. You can double or triple the recipe without consequence.
- I am not a huge fan of garlic, and I often skip it, so that is a personal choice for you. The rest of the family loves it in their pasta, however.
Vegetable Options for Cajun Chicken Pasta
Broccoli isn’t the only option for Cajun chicken pasta. You can use whatever veggies you have on hand, but some of my favorites are below. Saute them in a bit of butter or grill on the grill if you prefer.
- Sauteed Mushrooms
- Sauteed Red Peppers
- Grilled Zucchini
- Diced Tomatoes
- Green Onions
Cajun Chicken Pasta
- 4 oz fettuccini pasta
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 cups Parmesean, freshly grated
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 chicken breast
- 3 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into florets red and green peppers, mushrooms, and green onions are also great additions
- Pound chicken to about 1/2 inch thick. Liberally season on both sides with cajun seasoning. The more seasoning you use, the spicier the chicken will be.
- In a large pot, cook fettuccini pasta as directed and drain. Set aside.
- * See Note for alternative if you don’t have a steamer. In a large pot, add an inch of water and bring to a rolling boil. Place a steamer basket inside the pot and add the broccoli. Cover , turn the heat down to a medium-low and cook for 6-10 minutes, until the broccoli is tender.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes per side, or until dark brown-black on the outside and cooked throughout, but not dry. The skillet may smoke quite a bit, and that’s fine.
- In a large, deep skillet over medium heat, melt 6 tbsp of butter. Slowly add in the cream and stir until well combined. Stir occassionally and bring to a bubble boil, about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Add in parmesean cheese, 1/2 cup at a time and stir until creamy. Reduce heat.
- In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of cream sauce and cornstarch. Mix until smooth and without lumps. Add cornstarch mixture into sauce and stir until well combined.
- Mix noodles into sauce. Plate with broccoli and chicken on top.
Our Latest Recipe Videos
More Delicious Pasta Recipes for the Family