Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe
Sausage and Kale Soup is my favorite fall soup recipe. A creamy broth is accented with red potatoes and Italian sausage to make a soup that is hearty and warms the soul.
Servings 10 cups
- 2 lbs medium red potatoes sliced thin
- 1 cup diced yellow onion diced
- 5-6 pieces kale leaves stems removed and torn into bite size
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage or links with casings removed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to Taste
In a large pot, boil the sliced potatoes about 5-10 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside in a colander or bowl.
In the same empty large pot, crumble the Italian sausage. Begin to brown for 1-2 minutes. Add the onions. Cook until sausage is fully cooked and onions are translucent. Drain off excess fat.
Stir in the chicken broth, milk, and fennel (optional), and oregano. Bring to a simmer. Cover and turn to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the potatoes, heavy cream and kale. Return to simmer. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted.