Sausage and Kale Soup Recipe
Sausage and Kale Soup is my favorite fall soup recipe. A creamy broth is accented with red potatoes and Italian sausage to make a soup that is hearty and warms the soul.
Servings 10 cups
- 2 lbs medium red potatoes sliced thin
- 1 cup diced yellow onion diced
- 5-6 pieces kale leaves stems removed and torn into bite size
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage or links with casings removed
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to Taste
1. In a large pot, boil the sliced potatoes about 5-10 minutes, until tender. Drain and set aside in a colander or bowl.
2. In the same empty large pot, crumble the Italian sausage. Begin to brown for 1-2 minutes. Add the onions. Cook until sausage is fully cooked and onions are translucent. Drain off excess fat.
3. Stir in the chicken broth, milk, and fennel (optional), and oregano. Bring to a simmer. Cover and turn to low. Simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Add the potatoes, heavy cream and kale. Return to simmer. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until the kale has wilted.