Honey Sesame Chicken recipe at home! Better than Chinese takeout, these crispy chicken bites are coated in a sticky sweet and tangy sauce and topped with sesame seeds.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 lb Chicken breast or boneless thighs
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Toasted Sesame Oil
- 3 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 6-8 tablespoon Vegetable Oil for pan frying
- ¾ cup Cornstarch
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Grated Ginger
- ¼ cup Mirin or Rice Wine Not rice wine vinegar, you can substitute a sweet white wine in a pinch.
- ¼ cup Hoisin Sauce
- 2 teaspoon Ketchup or 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoon Honey
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon sweet chili sauce if you like a little spiy kick
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3 cups Cooked White or Brown Rice
- 3 cups Steamed Vegetables Broccoli, Sliced Carrots, Snow Peas are some of our favorites.
Marinate the Chicken
Pat the chicken dry and cut into 1-inch pieces.
In a medium bowl, combine sesame oil, sugar, 2 tablespoon soy sauce, and pepper. Coat the chicken and put in the refrigerator while preparing the next steps. Cold chicken makes crispier fried chicken.
Pan Fry the Chicken
In a dish or large bag, mix the cornstarch and flour together. Dredge the chicken pieces in the cornstarch, shaking off any excess and place in oil.
Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of a skillet. Heat oil to 375 degrees (medium-medium high heat) in a skillet. This is not a deep fry, so the oil does not have to cover the chicken pieces.
Working in 2-3 batches, cook 3-5 minutes while stirring occasionally to brown evenly. The chicken should be golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate.
Pour the excess oil out of the pan, reserving about 1 Tbsp. Adjust to medium heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the rice wine, hoisin, soy sauce, ketchup, and honey; bring to a simmer.
In a measuring cup, mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 tablespoon sauce from pan and whisk until smooth. Add back into the skillet and simmer for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce thickens.