Grilled Chicken Thigh Marinade
The Best Grilled Chicken Marinade - chicken marinated in a mixture of balsamic vinegar, mustard, and brown sugar. Sweet and tangy in every bite!
Servings 6 chicken thighs
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Soy Sauce reduced sodium
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Brown Sugar I use light, but dark brown sugar works too
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Basil 2 teaspoon if using dried
- 2 tablespoon Yellow Mustard If using dijon, use 1 tablespoon less
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic (about 3 cloves)
- 2.5 lbs Skinless Chicken Thighs boneless or bone-in is fine
Whisk together all marinade ingredients.
Make sure chicken is all relatively the same thickness. Pound out with a meat mallet if necessary.
Place chicken in a gallon Ziplock bag or a bowl. Pour the marinade over chicken and toss to fully coat chicken.
Seal bag or bowl and marinade 2 hours or in the refrigerator overnight. In a pinch, the minimum I would recommend marinating is 30 minutes.
Grill over medium to medium high heat until done, 8 to 10 minutes, turning half way through. Let the chicken breasts rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve: You can keep cooked chicken at room temperature for up to 2 hours before it should be refrigerated.
Refrigerate: Cooked chicken should be stored in the refrigerator, wrapped tightly in aluminum foil or in an airtight container, for up to 4 days. Don't cut up the meat until ready to reheat.
Freeze: You can freeze with the marinade or after cooking. Cool your chicken to room temperature, and place in a freezer or foodsaver bag to minimize freezer burn. Freeze for up to 4 months. You can pre-cut this for salads and sandwiches to reduce thaw time.
- Make sure your chicken is mostly even in thickness. You don't need to pound thighs, but I generally lay them out flat before marinating. If there is a particularly thick lump (over 1.5 inches) I press it a little flatter.
- Marinade for at least 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator (you can do less time but it won't brine or seep as well into the chicken).
- Cook chicken on medium to medium high heat for 4-5 minutes on each side.