Oven Baked Chicken and Rice
Oven Baked Chicken and Rice is a family friendly and easy weeknight one pot meal made with just a fresh ingredients in the oven. Nostalgic comfort food at its finest!
Servings 5 servings
- 5 chicken thighs bone-in, with skin
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ cups basmati or jasmine rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves or finely chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a 9x13 inch baking dish, scatter onions and garlic. Place butter in the center. Bake for 15 minutes (check at 12 minutes, mix if some bits are browning too much).
Add rice to baking dish and mix.
Mix chicken rub. Sprinkle on both sides of the chicken and pat into skin.
Pour chicken broth and hot water around the baking dish, 1 can of chicken broth is just under 2 cups. Add hot water until you get exactly 2 cups. Then add ¾ cup more of hot water.
Add chicken to dish and cover dish with foil. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Let stand for 5 minutes. Remove chicken and fluff rice. Garnish with parsley or thyme if desired.
Slow Cooker Variation
Tips and Substitutions
If you would like to cut down on the baking time, boil the water and/or broth rather than using hot water. It takes longer in the oven to heat up the water than the stovetop.
This Rub can be substituted with any seasonings you want! Lemon Pepper Seasoning,
- Spray a 6qt crock pot lightly with non stick cooking spray. Add chicken breast and season with chicken rub.
- Add diced onion and minced garlic on top of chicken and pour in chicken stock. Cover and cook on LOW 5-6 hours, or HIGH 3-4 hours. If desired, crisp the skin in the oven under broil.
- In a pot on the stove, cook the rice per directions, but substitute half the water with the chicken stock from the crock pot.
- Serve the chicken and onions over the rice.
Italian Herb Mix - use what you have.
Calories: 406kcal | Carbohydrates: 61g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g