Punch Bowl Cake
The perfect dump cake, this Southern Punch Bowl Cake is moist and filled with strawberries and pineapple chunks. So delicious, this no bake cake comes together quickly in under 30 minutes and large enough for all your summer potluck desserts!
Servings 10 cups
- 14 oz Angel food cake store bought or homemade
- 2 cups Heavy cream
- 4 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ lb Strawberries
- 20 oz Canned Pineapple Chunks in juice juicy, fresh pineapple can work too
- 1 cup Toasted, sliced almonds
This recipe makes about 8-10 cups. Wash and slice strawberries. Drain pineapple. Set aside.
Cut cake into bite sized chunks.
In a large chilled bowl, add the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip at high speed, until very fluffy, structured and stiff (much more than "soft peaks"). It should stick to the sides of the bowl and paddle.
In punch bowl or other large bowl, add fruit, cake and whip cream. Fold together with a spoon. Topped with toasted almonds.
The cake can be served immediately or left overnight. The cake will not become soggy overnight. Lasts about 3 days usually.
This recipe makes about 8-10 cups at it's current written size, which is a proper trifle bowl size. If you want to nearly fill a 20 cup cake stand sized bowl (as pictured), I recommend doubling the recipe.
This punch bowl cake recipe can be beautifully layered, similar to a trifle. I recommend layering it in the following way: ½ cake, ½ whip cream, half mixture of strawberries and pineapple, repeat with the remaining halves.
Store: Wrap the punchbowl with saran wrap tightly and refrigerate. It will last about 3 days.
Make Ahead: You can make this the day before or prep all ingredients including the whipped cream and store in the refrigerator. Then it is easy to add to the bowl and stir the punch bowl cake before serving.
- Substituting the homemade whipped cream with cool whip or, worse, reddi-whip is not recommended.
- You can use angel cake, a dense yellow cake, or pound cake. Yellow cake is my preference but it crumbles more easily. Pound cake will have a heavier taste.
- You can substitute pecan pieces for the toasted almonds, or leave out.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 260kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 3.7g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 5.8g | Cholesterol: 33mg | Sodium: 264mg | Potassium: 4mg | Fiber: 2.1g | Sugar: 14g | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 0.7mg