With a robustly flavored homemade tomato sauce, Chicken Cacciatore is unbelievably flavorful, tender, and saucy, I use simple braising techniques, peppers, onions, and spices to bring you one of my all-time favorite Italian dinner recipes!
Servings 6 servings
- 6 Bone-in Chicken Pieces with Skin - about 2 lbs thighs or breasts are fine
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Pepper
- ½ cup All Purpose Flour for dredging
- 2 ½ tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper rough chopped
- 1 Yellow Onion rough chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- ½ cup Dry White Wine
- 28 oz Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 3 tablespoon Capers
Sprinkle the salt and pepper over each chicken piece. Dredge through the flour to coat.
In a large, deep skillet or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over med-high heat. Add the chicken pieces to the pan and fry until brown, about 5 minutes per side. Work in two batches if necessary. Transfer the chicken to a plate lined with paper towels.
Reduce heat to medium. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the oil liquid in the pan and throw away the rest. In the same pan, add the onion, peppers, garlic, and oregano. Sauté until tender and onions are translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
Add the wine and simmer for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juice, chicken broth, and capers. Bring to a simmer.
Add the chicken pieces back into the pan and sink them into the sauce. The sauce will not cover the chicken entirely. Continue simmering until the chicken is fully cooked, about 25-30 minutes.
Transfer the chicken to a plate. If a thicker sauce is desired, boil the sauce about 3-5 minutes. Spoon the sauce over the chicken and serve.
- The Deep Pan - My best friend for sautéing because it is nonstick, DEEP, and has a great fitting lid. It is perfect for this recipe to hold all the chicken and sauce while simmering.
- Capers - you will find capers usually in the grocery section with canned olives and pickles. They are a salty Mediterranean dish staple, but you can also skip them if you want.
Serving: 1chicken breast | Calories: 364kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 32g | Fat: 17.1g | Sodium: 748mg | Fiber: 1.8g | Sugar: 2.8g | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 2.2mg