Fabulous Carrot Cake Recipe
The best carrot cake recipe! Made with real carrots, pineapple, raisins, walnuts, and a touch of cinnamon, this carrot cake recipe with pineapple is better than grandma's. This cake is surprisingly simple to make and includes a step-by-step instructions for no-fail results every time.
Servings 1 2 layer cake
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 2 ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 Eggs
- ¾ cup Buttermilk
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ cups White Sugar
- 2 teaspoon rum extract or vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 can crushed pineapple in juice 8oz
- 1 cup Raisins
- cream cheese frosting
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 8x8 cake pans.
In medium bowl, whisk combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a second large bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, oil, sugar, and extract. Add flour mixture, a cup at a time and mix well between each addition.
In another medium bowl, combine carrots, nuts, pineapple and juice, and raisins. Using a spoon or scraper, fold the carrot mixture into the batter.
Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 1 hour or until center is done and toothpick comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack before frosting with cream cheese frosting.
- For me, this usually requires about 3 large carrots. I always peel my carrots and then use the larger hole of a box grater. I like to see the carrots. But if you don't, you can use the smaller hole grater. Another way I like to prepare my carrots is to use a food processor with the shredding blade.
- A single batch of my cream cheese frosting recipe will cover this cake. However, additional decorations or if you like ALOT of frosting, increase the recipe by at least 50%.
- HOW TO STORE CAKE - The cake layers can be stored wrapped or covered at room temperature or refrigerated for 1-2 days. Once the cake is frosted, it should be stored in the refrigerator due to the cream cheese in the frosting. It can be eaten chilled or you can set it out on the counter for one to two hours if you prefer room temperature cake. Carrot cake can also be frozen with or without the frosting for 2-3 months and thawed in the refrigerator overnight.