Seafood Chowder Recipe
This creamy seafood chowder is perfect for that special date night or the perfect delight for the seafood lover.
Servings 8 cups
- 4 strips bacon chopped
- ½ medium yellow onion diced
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 3 bottles of clam juice 24 oz total
- 1 ½ cup potato peedled and diced
- 1 lb large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 2 cups sweet corn frozen or canned is fine
- 15 mussels clams can be substituted, both need cleaned and debearded
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Over medium heat, saute bacon in a large pot until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate but leave the dripping in the pan. In the same pan, add the butter and diced onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine and boil for 1 more minute.
Next, stir in clam juice, corn, and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer mixture until potatoes are tender. Around 8-10 minutes, depending on thickness.
Add the shrimp. Cook about 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink.
Add cream and thyme to soup and heat through. Discard any mussels that don't open. Season with salt and pepper as necessary. Garnish with crispy bacon pieces from the towel lined plate.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.3g | Protein: 40.9g | Fat: 9.2g | Cholesterol: 181mg | Sodium: 972mg | Potassium: 567mg | Fiber: 0.9g | Sugar: 3.7g | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 4.3mg