It has been a crazy week trying to get projects done for Our Manly Office Makeover for the Spring One Room Challenge! I am surprised at the number of hours I put in and yet, not one project is completely finished for the room. That’s crazy to me! But we are progressing and I will be able to start sharing some finished projects next week.
Thank you to everyone who stopped by and wished me luck last week. I was a bit overwhelmed by the support and the feel-good vibes pushed me on! It was also really awesome to see all of the creativity and high DIY aspirations of the other participants. The reveals are going to be drool worthy!
I had to enlist some help this weekend and the whole family got to work sanding this well built antique office chair that goes with the office desk. It was in very good shape but worn from years of use as you can see below. The guys sanded and prepped it for its new life in sexy black.
I hand painted the chair with my Benjamin Moore Advance in satin. It received 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint. I wanted to keep the character and smoothness of the chair wherever possible.
Although I originally planned on adding a polyurethane coating after it cures, I fell in love with that wood grain texture so I may wait and see. I also haven’t quite decided if I want to distress some of the edges or leave it completely enamel black. I need to see it paired with the desk I will be refinishing before I decide.
Hubby’s desk is a beautiful antique executive style desk that was handed down from his father. Like the chair, it is in great shape but is definitely worn. The hardware was heavily laden with tarnish and I wanted to clean them up to their original state. I did not paint them at all and the difference above is solely from cleaning! From the tutorials I found, it sounded like a very daunting/ scary job but I figured it out and it wasn’t so bad. If you want to see how we shined this up, I have a tutorial on cleaning tarnished brass.
And you know me, I couldn’t help but start working on one of my art projects planned for the room. Yep, a wood sign! #ShockedNotShocked I employed my cutting machine once again to create a flag that meets regulation standards. I used white and blue chalk paint. Unfortunately, I did not have an appropriate red so I had to use matte craft paint. The reds and blues are multilayered to give a slightly impressionistic feel to the flag. After I was satisfied, I layered wax and dark wood stain to create a worn look around the edges and keep texture throughout. The wax did not like working with the red paint and would smear it so I had to work around that problem.
This picture does it absolutely no justice but it was getting late today and I realized I needed pictures. It is even still wet, haha. I am sure I will get some better pictures for the reveal.
So let’s take a look at the checklist:
- Paint Hubby’s Antique Desk
Painting Hubby’s Antique Chair(*mostly done) Purchase Shelves
- Accessories purchased and
go through Hubby’s old boxes American Flag Artwork
- 2 more planned artworks (not fully sure what they will be yet)
- International Time/ Clocks Display
- Stenciled Crates
- Super Secret Project – (half done)
Update: You Can See All of Our Projects and Progress (including the reveal!) here:
- Week 1 – Design and inspiration
- Week 2 – Getting to work and painting the office chair
- Week 3- Mini-fridge makeover (The Beer Safe)
- Week 4- Painting the antique desk
- Week 5 – A dash of patriotism
- Week 6 – The Office Reveal!
Not bad for the first week! We are very much on track so far, but I need to get some shopping done and the International Time/ Clocks Display done for next week. Wish me luck!