Behind many of our DIY projects are creative solutions to problems we encounter along the way. In the madness of the holidays, this post got away from me but I wanted to show the simple solution today. The original craft room had 2 outlets along the bottom of the wall where my cabinets would be. As I worked on the room layout, I realized that the outlets would be unusable behind the base cabinets. Even if we could somehow use them, that would have required a plethora of extension cords all over the room. Another idea was to cut into the wall, moving outlets to above the counter tops (more holes), and then rewire everything to make them useable. However, sweet hubby (and baby bro!) made a suggestion that simplified everything while also making it aesthetically pleasing. We daisy chained two outlets out of the existing wall outlet behind one of the cabinets.
First things first, neither of us are licensed electricians. There are some safety considerations of course for moving outlets and electricity is nothing to mess around with. If you have any question about DIYing this project, talk to an electrician. The main consideration we had for this project was keeping the circuits from overloading. In my case, these outlets are for my convenience only if I have to plug in a small tool (such as a hot glue gun), not a computer. We also took special consideration to make sure that the complete load (# of devices connected) on the circuit breaker was not exceeded. An electrician should consider this when setting up the amount of outlets per breaker. (You get that?! I didn’t, I just wrote what dear hubby told me, lol)
First we cut the sides of the box and created the hole for the outlets in either side. To make sure the outlets were sturdy within the box, we nestled the blue outlet box between two extra pieces of wood.
An outlet box went into either end.
Along the top of my outlet box, I wanted to create some nesting holes for pencil or craft supply cups. We cut these out using a hole saw bit. The holes were about 5 inches and we did not have something that large to cut a circle. Therefore, hubby cut several cores out around the circumference of the circle drawn above. Then we sanded it smooth.
At this point, I primed and painted the box, before wiring up the new outlets. As you can see, my ‘above counter top’ outlets are wired up to plug into the existing outlet in the wall. It is sort of like a really cool extension cord.
Moving the outlets with the box was one of hubby’s best ideas yet and I loved that it added even more functional organization for my craft room! Happy DIYing!
More DIY Ideas: