The post is sponsored by Samsung. All opinions are my own.
We live in an age where sometimes I feel like our house is getting smarter than us. Ok, not really, but there are just so many fun technological advances in creating a home that works for you. For example, we have a touchscreen doorlock, an Amazon Echo with Alexa, and Z-wave outdoor outlets which control our outdoor Christmas lights (because I forget to turn them on or off all the time!).
In adding these products to our home, we came across a glaring problem- we have Wi-Fi dead zones in our home. This meant that some of the Wi-Fi connected products didn’t work well in our home where we wanted them too. I’ve partnered with Samsung to talk about how we are solving this and making our home work better for us with the innovative Samsung SmartThings Wifi – a mesh Wi-Fi system that not only optimizes Wi-Fi signal throughout your home, but can also control hundreds of Samsung, SmartThings and Works With SmartThings devices.
Get The Most Out Of Your WiFi Coverage
Want high speed internet everywhere in your home or outside? Want parental controls to specific devices? Like having a separate network for guests with their own password? You get all of this from the Samsung SmartThings Wifi system without needing additional devices.
Before using Samsung SmartThings, our bedroom was a dead zone, even with a Wi-Fi-booster. Each hub covers 1,500 sq. feet, and you can connect up to five for a total of 7,500 square feet. In addition, the new Wi-Fi-Router system includes mesh networking technology from Plume. Plume technology delivers an intelligent network that learns from millions of similar homes and is capable of adapting in real time to interference or congestion as it tunes performance to your connected devices. In non-tech speak, Plume optimizes your Wi-Fi, giving it to the devices that need it most. For example, if you are walking through your home on a video call, Plume will optimize your signal to the most appropriate hub without losing any speed!
MANAGING OUR HOME WITH SAMSUNG SMARTTHINGS
Ok, let me start first by saying that I am just your average DIY-loving mom who works from home. For me, it’s easier to think of smart products as just being any product within your home that is connected to your WiFi and designed to simplify your everyday home life. I love that SmartThings can also connect to Alexa and Google home, so I can do things like turn all the lights off in the basement without walking to the basement when the boys forget. You can also program SmartThings to do actions without needing you to interact with it, such as detecting an open door or a leak in the kitchen with its range of sensors available to connect to your main hub.
How does the Samsung SmartThings manage your smart home devices? Most of the time, smart home products come with their own hub and may be controlled with their own separate app. That isn’t exactly convenient. But with Samsung SmartThings, you simply download the app on your phone or tablet and add your compatible smart home products directly within a single app. So MUCH easier. Unlike most other hubs, this one works with hundreds of third-party products because of its open platform.
WHAT CAN I CONTROL WITH THE SAMSUNG SmartThings?
Here are just a few examples of the amazing things you can do if you have the compatible smart product (separate purchase may be required):
- Parental Controls- There are also easy parental controls and the ability to quickly disconnect users and monitor their data usage. You can also set timers for devices.
- Set scenes automatically- Set Turn off lights automatically when you leave or change the dining room from task lighting to romantic ambiance instantly.
- Smart outlets – Turn on ALL your outdoor Christmas lights with one button on your phone or on a timer.
- Compatible sensors – Notify you when a door or window has opened.
- Nest Thermostat – Cold morning and don’t want to get out of bed? Change the thermostat from your bed.
- Video Doorbell – Knock at the door? Screen for pesky salesman without getting out of your chair!
- Create a secure network with access for guests, with their own password.
- Stop searching for the TV remote and turn it off or volume down with your voice.
- Upload, download, and stream your favorite movies on your smart TV with a strong Wi-Fi signal throughout your home.
The great thing about SmartThings is that it is compatible with hundreds of smart home products and third-party devices!
HOW TO SETUP THE SAMSUNG SMARTTHINGS HUBS
The setup is actually amazingly easy.
- Download the Samsung SmartThings App from the app store.
- Plug in the hub to your modem and a power source. You can add additional hubs wirelessly in your home to increase the Wi-Fi coverage.
- On the app, add any smart devices (the app has simple on-screen guidance)
- Install the Plume app to use Advanced Wi-Fi features like if your hubs need to be relocated for full optimization.
Over the next few weeks, the SmartThings Wifi will learn about its environment and continue optimizing, allocating capacity to the rooms and devices that need it most.
Now that I can manage all these things so easily, I am on the lookout for more awesome smart devices to add to our network. What are your favorites and how have they impacted your home?