A delicious easy cherry coffee cake recipe made with cherry pie filling and a fresh cream cheese glaze on top.
With the holidays comes another family tradition…leftovers. Now I love leftovers as much as anyone but sometimes you gotta get creative in their use. In our family, everyone has a favorite different dessert that must be made for their visit during Thanksgiving or Christmas. Then they leave, and I’m left with 2 half-pies, cookies, baklava, and just too much.
This year, I have a plan.
After dinner is over and they enjoy the deserts, I am throwing their desserts back in the oven and to create breakfast before they leave! Brilliant.
I bake a ton during the holidays, especially when we have guests over. I am already fussing over dinner so some good shortcuts are a host’s best friend. Now that is the definition of golden, flaky crust. Looks perfect, doesn’t it? But I am not done. I crumbled it up, crust and all, and spooned it over this cake –
I have to say I am a fan of the look of this coffee cake.
Actually, I am a fan of anyone who can successfully justify eating dessert for breakfast – which makes me a huge fan of coffee cake.
Slicing a piece of cherry pie for yourself at 7am is so taboo, but coffee cake totally gets a pass. I mean how does that work? It even has cake in the name!
However, it does have a glaze, so that makes it totally better right? The glaze is about the easiest things I have ever made. I used an old recipe I had from college where you mix equal parts cool whip and cream cheese frosting. I often use it as a fruit dip but I thought it would work well for this recipe. The whipped topping makes it fluffier while retaining the same rich taste. Mine got a bit warm because I was too impatient to let the darn cake cool, but I like the melted look.
Also, thank you coffee cake for being able to be baked at night and still be sumptuous and #ThankfullySweet in the morning. It’s like you know my horrible morning tendencies. You allow me to continue my half awake mutterings to my family while still retaining my Mom of the year title. That title is on my coffee cup so it must be true, right?
Cherry Coffee Cake with Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups Flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cans cherry pie filling
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1/2 cup cream cheese frosting
- 1/2 cup whipped topping such as cool whip
- Bake the pie as directed. Allow to cool. Use a knife to cut the top crust off for faster cooling.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a spring form pan. In a mixer, add the eggs, milk, oil, vanilla, and mix. Stir in the sour cream until blended. In a separate large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- One cup at a time, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix between each addition. Pour into spring form pan.
- Break up the pie, bottom crust included. Spoon evenly across the top of the cake mixture. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Check around 1 hour if additional time is needed. Check the center to make sure the skewer or toothpick comes out clean.
What's For Dinner?
Signup for recipe updates and get a free cookbook of Easy Weeknight Supper Solutions!
Our Newest Recipe Videos
More Great Recipes