This smothered chicken skillet is a classic dish ready in just 30 minutes! The sauce combines fresh carrots and mushrooms with the creamy wine sauce.
It’s no secret that I love to cook and while I do enjoy finessing a great meal that took an hour or more to make from scratch, about 30% of our meals are just to get something on the table. I am always looking for dishes that are long on flavor but short on time. Today, I have created exactly that (with a little bit of help) and I surprised myself that this classic smothered chicken skillet was ready in under 30 minutes!
I sauteed diced carrots, onions, and mushrooms with a bright splash of white wine. Normally, I would then add the chicken broth and seasonings and simmer it down until rich with flavor and a slightly thickened.
My usual recipe involves pan searing the bone in chicken thighs but I loved that I could use pan-seared boneless, skinless breasts to speed up the process. The light flour coating was so perfect and I skipped the braising completely!
Now that is a 30 minute meal!
30-Minute Smothered Chicken Skillet
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 4 oz mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Parsley rough chopped
- 4 chicken breasts pounded to 1/2thickness and patted dry
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup Flour
- salt and pepper
- In a skillet over medium heat, add butter and carrots. Cook 3-4 minutes and then add the onions. Cook 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the mushrooms and cook until slightly browned and liquid is released.
- Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and whisk constantly and thoroughly until well incorporated. Whisking constantly, cook about 2 minutes or until the mixture is a medium brown color.
- Stir in the chicken broth and heavy cream. Heat until warm and bubbly. If desired, allow to boil slightly to reduce and thicken while the chicken cooks.
- Salt and pepper the chicken pieces to suit your preference. In a medium bowl, add the flour and flour the chicken breasts. In a second skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook about 4 minutes per side.
- Spoon sauce over chicken pieces when serving.