I whipped up an easy patriotic DIY centerpiece idea this past weekend. What can you make with empty wine bottles and loads of glitter? Amazingly classy ombre glitter bottles, of course! I went with the classic red, white, and blue colors for this table centerpiece. The bright red flowers are a great contrast to the ombre white and blue wine bottles.
Materials to Make a Patriotic DIY Centerpiece
You will need: Mod Podge, a brush, two colors of glitter, two small containers, a spoon (optional), high gloss clear sealant, and newspaper (to catch the glitter), Flowers (if you like the red, white, and blue centerpiece idea)
How to add glitter to empty wine bottles
1. To create the ombre effect, you will have four variations of color from lightest to darkest. In the two small containers, mix your two colors so that one is lighter but not completely white and one is darker but not completely blue.
2. Using mod podge and a brush, paint the top 1/3 of the bottle and the bottom 1/3 of the bottle. Make sure the mod podge is evenly coated with no globs. Sprinkle the all-white glitter over the top 1/3. Sprinkle the bottom with the blue glitter. Tip: I used a spoon to completely cover the area with the glitter. Sprinkle a little less at the edges to make blending easier. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the bottles. Gently shake excess off.
3. Mod Podge usually feels dry within an hour, but I only waited about 30 minutes before doing the next step.
4. Paint the center 1/3 of the bottle with mod podge overlapping slightly the white and blue already present. Tipping the bottle at a 45 degree angle, sprinkle your darker color toward the bottom of your center and work around the bottle. Then take the lighter color and overlay the area between the all white and darker color. Tip: for more control, sprinkle with fingers liberally. Touch up and blend as necessary. Gently shake off excess.
5. To seal the glitter on the bottle, wait 24 hours and then spray with a gloss clear sealant.
Place on a plate stand or a silver platter and add your finishing touches to make a beautiful DIY centerpiece.
Linked up at these great parties!