Patriotic DIY Centerpiece of Red, White, and Blue

Patriotic DIY centerpiece for Fourth of July Decorations

I whipped up an easy patriotic DIY centerpiece idea this past weekend. What can you make with empty wine bottles and loads of glitter? Amazingly classy ombre glitter bottles, of course! I went with the classic red, white, and blue colors for this table centerpiece. The bright red flowers are a great contrast to the ombre white and blue wine bottles.

DIY patriotic Centerpiece with ombre blue glitter bottles

Materials to Make a Patriotic DIY Centerpiece

You will need: Mod Podge, a brush, two colors of glitter, two small containers, a spoon (optional), high gloss clear sealant, and newspaper (to catch the glitter), Flowers (if you like the red, white, and blue centerpiece idea)

What to make with empty wine bottles? Easy Patriotic Centerpiece of Red White and Blue

How to add glitter to empty wine bottles

1. To create the ombre effect, you will have four variations of color from lightest to darkest. In the two small containers, mix your two colors so that one is lighter but not completely white and one is darker but not completely blue.

2. Using mod podge and a brush, paint the top 1/3 of the bottle and the bottom 1/3 of the bottle. Make sure the mod podge is evenly coated with no globs. Sprinkle the all-white glitter over the top 1/3. Sprinkle the bottom with the blue glitter. Tip: I used a spoon to completely cover the area with the glitter. Sprinkle a little less at the edges to make blending easier. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the bottles. Gently shake excess off.

3. Mod Podge usually feels dry within an hour, but I only waited about 30 minutes before doing the next step.

4. Paint the center 1/3 of the bottle with mod podge overlapping slightly the white and blue already present. Tipping the bottle at a 45 degree angle, sprinkle your darker color toward the bottom of your center and work around the bottle. Then take the lighter color and overlay the area between the all white and darker color. Tip: for more control, sprinkle with fingers liberally. Touch up and blend as necessary. Gently shake off excess.

5. To seal the glitter on the bottle, wait 24 hours and then spray with a gloss clear sealant.

DIY Patriotic Red White and Blue Decorations

Place on a plate stand or a silver platter and add your finishing touches to make a beautiful DIY centerpiece.

Rachel Signature

Linked up at these great parties!

Comments

1. says

Thanks for linking up to Tip Me Tuesday linky party. {knuckle bumps}

Did you know that I can “lend” your blog posts my Google page rank for better search engine traffic? {fabulous}

If you upload at least 2 images, 2 steps, and blog post URL into your Tip Junkie craft room, you’ll be in business!
    {wink} ~ Laurie {a.k.a. the Tip Junkie}

2. Daddy-o says

Wow, those are really nice. I love the patriotic theme. You are so good at this stuff. This looks very professional.

Love
    Daddy-O

• Daddy-o says

We missed you too. Mom had to work so I drove my motorcycle into Nashville with the hope of seeing the fireworks from the interstate but about 50,000 other people must have had the same idea because the traffic was nuts and the fireworks were late and so I still didn’t get to see them.

We can’t wait to see your new house.

We are finishing up planning out New England trip. We will be there for ten days. Should e an unbelievable trip. After that we come see you for several days. Can’t wait.

Love
        Dad

3. says

Ooooh, I do like glitter!!! That’s a great project for the 4th, or any time with any colors! I plan to drink some wine tonight (it’s my b-day), and I’ll save the bottles to do this!!! (LOL) Thank you so much for sharing at Merry Monday Linky ~ we love having you! Will you join us again this week Sunday at 6pm PST? Pretty please?!?! :) Julia
    Julia@Happy House and Home recently posted…Guest Post – A Shabby Chic Star!My Profile

4. says

I love these wine bottles! I will have to start saving my empty one so I can make something as pretty as this. I would love it if you linked this up to my Motivate Me Monday linky party at IT’S A ginger SNAP.

5. says

These are BEAUTIFUL! The ombre looks hard but when I read through the post it actually sounds pretty easy! This is one of those things that people will be surprised you did yourself and then they see you as some sort of incredibly talented genius when really- I just copied the real genius here (you). LOVE THEM! I pinned it so I can show my mom, this is totally something she will want to do for the 4th
    Rebeccafaith recently posted…1 Year Old With A Split PersonalityMy Profile

• says

Awww, thanks so much! I think you are an incredibly talented genius! Your writing is awesome. I really wish I could have had my mom’s silver platter to put underneath them but she is too far away to borrow.
      Rachel recently posted…Turn It Up Tuesday #40My Profile